ARC Lifeguarding Certification at GMCF
American Red Cross Lifeguarding and Lifeguarding Recertification courses are now open for registration!
Become a certified ARC Lifeguard by completing this blended (online/in-person combination) course with GMCF!
Instructor Keith McKenna is a highly experienced and well qualified trainer who will provide you with a skillful and enjoyable course experience, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know in order to become an American Red Cross Lifeguard. This is a requirement for working as a lifeguard at most public pools and beaches.
In-person course schedule:
Friday, April 28: 12-6 PM
Saturday, April 29: 8 AM-5 PM
Sunday, April 30: 12:30 PM-6:30 PM (Recertification: this day only)
Registration closes 4/21/2023
Details on online component will be provided to registrants in advance of the course. The online component will require up to 9 hours of work and must be completed prior to the in-person dates above.
Participants must be 15 years of age or older by completion of the course. Costs: $325 for certification / $162.50 for recertification.
To participate in the course, you must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation (held during the course) by doing the following:
– Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
– Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
– Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
— Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
— Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
— Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
To successfully complete the course, you must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios, and pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity. You are encouraged to check with your health care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If you have a medical condition or disability that might prevent you from participating in the activities, or have questions about being able to fully participate in the Lifeguarding course, please contact us to discuss this before the course begins.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
Step 1: Log in to your profile in our software system.
- If you already have a profile (you’re a member or you’ve participated in our programs in the past), please log in at gmcf.clubautomation.com and make sure that your payment method on file is up to date and all information is accurate.
- If you don’t have a profile, download our smartphone app (iPhone app | Android app) and click “Register Now” on the login screen. Alternatively, go to THIS LINK and click “First time here? Access My Account” and follow the instructions.
- When you create a new profile, create it for yourself even if your child will be the program participant. The process will prompt you to add family members in step 3 of the profile set-up process, which is where you can enter the child’s information.
- If you have trouble accessing your account, you can call the GMCF front desk at 802-223-6161 and they can assist you.
Step 2: Click on the “Programs” icon in the app (“Series Registration” in the left side menu of the member portal) and then select your desired program. Select the appropriate family member and proceed to pay.
Web portal: to purchase for a child listed as your family member in your profile, click on “Profile” in the bottom right corner and then click the arrow next to your name to toggle to another family member’s profile.
Email [email protected]!